Friday, September 14, 2007

The Bus Driver That Is Lucky To Be Alive

I woke up this morning to the sound of a school bus driver honking his horn. And let me tell you it was LOUD. I look out the window and see it parked in front of a house a few doors down. Talk about curb-side service. I lay back down hoping to get a few more winks of sleep when

HONK.

Again with the horn. This time he had moved about 5 doors down to yet another house of a student that probably hit the snooze one to many times this morning(not that I can't relate). I get back in bed a second time, why do I even bother trying to sleep at this point? I wish I hadn't because the bus driver proceeds to honk the horn another half dozen times. At this point I want to go outside and strangle the guy with my bare hands, but I don't think he or his passengers would appreciate my bra & boy shorts sleeping attire.

I'm in the shower silently cursing the bus driver for my foul mood. Since when do bus drivers sit around and WAIT for you? And since when do you get picked up at your front door? I understand maybe if you live in the country and are the only house for a few miles, but come on we live in suburbia. Meet on the corner like the rest of us had to do.

Freshman year of high school I had the meanest bus driver alive - I swear. He would always yell at us for being late to the stop, when really he had to wait a whole 30 seconds for us. What I wanted to say was "We stand out in the FREEZING cold waiting for you during the winter and we don't complain when you're 20 minutes late!"

Apparently his irritation with our tardiness was quickly replaced with pure anger, because he got his revenge only a few months into the school year. There were about 6 or 7 of us that met at the stop every morning. And most of us lived a good hike away (my house was about 3/4 of a mile away), so we would walk together. One day in the dead of winter we were trudging through the unshoveled sidewalk on the way to our bus stop. We're about five houses from the corner when we see the bus pull up. We begin to sprint the best we can through the snow, knowing if we don't make it quick the driver's going to be PISSED, yet again. He sees us, waves, and proceeds to DRIVE AWAY! Let's just say my parents were not happy with us that day.

OK this is definitely a long rant - but my point is kids are spoiled rotten nowadays! Picked up at their front door and they even get a courteous honk (although annoying) if they don't show up on time? Seriously?

**Sidenote: For those of you that were interested in the book club I mentioned yesterday, please read THIS POST from Libby.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha! I can't believe that guy drove away! That is brutal. I never had to ride a bus as I either lived close enough to walk or was dropped off by my parents, but my grandpa drove a bus for many years. He was probably the sweetest bus driver on the face of the earth. He loved it and drove it up until a month before he passed away from cancer. Now there is a little model of a bus for kids to play on in the park in their town in honor of my grandpa. So while the horn was really annoying to you (and also would have been for me), it also made remember my grandpa. Thanks for that story. :)

Kristen said...

every morning i hear the paper delivery guy pull up to my house, throw the paper as hard as he possible can until it hits my door, then proceed to have a conversation with whoever is also with him in the car that usually is "get back in the car! no, we're not going to that house." and it's at 5a every day. so i can relate. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a mean bus driver. I can't believe he actually drove away. Did he get fired?

Anonymous said...

OH my gah. I HATE people who honk. Like, at my old apartment place, this guy used to always pick someone up in the apartment building across from us, and he would honk EVERY day at 3pm. GET OUT OF YOUR CAR AND WALK THE WHOLE 20 FEET TO THEIR DOOR. That's when we were working Night Audit, and we were sleeping at that time. Grrr..

Anonymous said...

Yeah. I read Something Borrowed first and OMIGAH! I loved it! I'll let you know about Something Blue, but as far as I've heard from the girls around here, it's really good too!

Anonymous said...

unbelievable! what a loser...taking revenge on a bunch of high school kids?

also, i lived through bus torture almost all of elementary AND high school. ugh. i hate how the drivers are CONSTANTLY late in the winter and get all snappy if they have to wait as we run to catch them on the odd day!!

DG said...

What a jerk! I got spoiled as a kid and always had my mom drive us so thankfully, I never had to deal with waiting for buses. Not like I live in a city where there's a lot of snow anyway!

Lisa said...

Story of my life! I had approximately that length of walk to my stop, too. And Canada gets freaking COLD. And I was really cool so I wore a kilt. With tights. No pants. (My school had uniforms, I feel I should mention). AHH and sometimes yeah, we'd wait 20 minutes. I'm surprised I never got frost bite.

Anonymous said...

I HATED riding the bus, as I've always been late to everything my whole life. So many times I've had to sprint to the bus looking like an idiot. I also hated getting on and not knowing who to sit with, so I would pray that there would be an empty seat so I wouldn't have to ask. Needless to say, I wasn't a very confident kid.

What a depressing comment! haha :) Umm, puppies and rainbows and chocolate?

Michelle and the City said...

KLC - :)

And OBH - NO the jerk didn't get fired! Can you believe that? I think he was our driver for almost two years.

We also had to be at the bus at exactly 3:08 or something like that at the end of the day. If you weren't there by that exact time he would close the doors. And even if he hadn't pulled out of the parking lot yet and you were banging on the door, he wouldn't let you on!

Anonymous said...

We never got a honk! If you weren't there, too bad. I had the meanest bus driver in middle school. He had HUGE ears and was grumpy all the time. Sometimes you'd even have to remind him to stop at your house!

Princess Pointful said...

My school bus driver was crazy reckless... we would almost get thrown into a ditch daily.
My favourite was when the police stopped when we were waiting at the side of highway, as they thought we were hitchhiking, not waiting for the school bus.

Anonymous said...

Gahhhhh he woke you? How RUDE!

I never lived far enough away to qualify for a school bus.. so it was always walking for me!

Anonymous said...

Wow...Kids these days! (Said with my best "Get off my lawn" grumpy old man voice.)

I had to ride the bus for 13 years...all the way from Kindergarten through my Senior Year. It was 7 miles to my elementary school and 17 miles to my junior high and high school. I never missed the bus once. But, we played by different rules. The bus would leave you. Period. If you weren't at the stop, it would leave. Apparently, it was against policy to wait, and it was against the rules to stop and allow boarding after starting.

Granted, I grew up in the country in a very strict state...but still!

Talk about nerve-wracking!!

I sometimes wonder why I am the way I am, and why being late is one of my biggest pet peeves. Gee, I wonder why?? ;)

~The Casual Perfectionist (.com)

Anonymous said...

I just re-read my comment, and I want to clerify. I didn't grow up in a different country...I grew up out in the sticks. Just in case that was confusing...

~TCP

Nap Queen said...

Oooooo, there's nothing more annoying than being woken up by a horn, a car alarm or some other highly annoying sound!!! And I don't what's up with that curbside service bs....

stilettoheights said...

yeah, I have a honking bus situation as well......and it kills me, this is why people are so lazy...

these kids should be standing outside.

ok now i am filled with anger, lol

Anonymous said...

I am glad you stopped by my blog - I am looking forward to book club too - I definitely never had the luxury of having the bus druver pick me up at my doorstep and if I was late that was IT...GONE in a mere second...kids today are a wee bit spoiled...love your blog!